Wyoming Rest Areas Rules
Sleeping at Wyoming Rest Areas
Camping is prohibited at rest areas, but drivers who need rest to safely continue their travels can sleep in their vehicles in the parking lots. The National Sleep Foundation recommends a nap of 15-20 minutes to improve alertness and driving skills. If you need more than a nap, you can sleep in your vehicle for a longer period, but don’t pitch a tent, extend your RV’s slideouts or otherwise set up for an extended stay. Travelers who want to camp will find 175 public campgrounds around the state. More information about campgrounds and other lodging options can be found in the Wyoming Vacation Directory available online at www.wyomingtourism.org, or by calling (800) 225-5996 or (307) 777-7777.
Driving Tips from the WYDOT
- Allow plenty of time to get to your destination so you have time for rest stops when needed.
- Take a break every 100 miles or two hours, and do something to refresh yourself. Have a snack, switch drivers or go for a walk.
- Avoid driving alone for long distances. A passenger who remains awake can help identify the warning signs of fatigue and take a turn behind the wheel. • Avoid driving at times when you would normally be asleep.
- Avoid alcohol and medications that cause drowsiness.
- Avoid smoking when you drive. The nicotine and carbon monoxide in tobacco smoke hamper night vision.
- Consume caffeine. The equivalent of two cups of coffee can increase alertness for several hours.
- Take a nap. If you feel you might fall asleep at the wheel, find a safe place to take a 15- to 20-minute nap. But remember, highway shoulders are for emergencies, and are not a safe place to stop and rest..
Know the Weather Conditions Before Going
Weather in Wyoming can change quickly, making highway travel difficult and even impossible at times. Information on road and weather conditions in Wyoming is available by dialing 511 from inside Wyoming and (888) WYO-ROAD (996-7623) from outside the state. 511 travel information on the Web at wyoroad.info includes road surface conditions, current weather conditions, a listing of any travel advisories and road closures, Web camera views of conditions on the highways and road construction information.